LSPA Summer Institute
2019 Summer Institute:
Tuesday, June 11 – Saturday, June 15, 2019
Register by Friday, April 19 (postmark deadline)
The LSPA Summer Institute (formerly the Louisiana Scholastic Journalism Institute) provides an intensive one-week training program for high school sophomores, juniors, seniors and incoming freshmen. Sponsored by the LSU Manship School of Mass Communication and the Louisiana Association of Broadcasters (LAB), the Institute’s mission is to provide students with the skills needed to produce top-notch scholastic media, including newspapers, broadcast, yearbooks, multimedia and social media. Students work closely with faculty and media professionals utilizing Manship’s state-of-the-art production facilities. They build strong journalism skills and receive a taste of college life, while spending four nights under supervision in one of LSU’s residential facilities. The LSPA Summer Institute is recognized as the Southeast’s No. 1 high school media-learning program.
BUILD YOUR SKILLS IN …
Writing | Editing | Design | Videography | Photography
Multimedia production | Social media | Digital journalism
The LSPA Summer Institute helps you explore and experiment, bringing to class your own journalistic skills and unique point of view. The program gives you an understanding of where journalism and journalists are headed in the digital world.
What will I be doing?
- You will use the Manship School’s advanced broadcast studios and writing laboratories to learn the fundamentals of media: writing, editing, design, videography, photography and more. You’ll discover new techniques and tools to improve your skills as well as the quality of your school’s publications and broadcasts. Activities include workshops, production projects and guest speakers.
Who can attend?
- High school sophomores, juniors and seniors interested in journalism and mass communication and/or those involved in the school newspaper, yearbook or broadcast news program.
Where will I stay?
- You will stay in residence facilities located on the LSU campus. Most meals will be in LSU dining halls. Faculty members and graduate students closely supervise all activities.
What is the cost?
- The program fee is $450 (subject to change), which covers housing, meals, and costs for materials and activities. Participants are responsible for travel expenses to and from the LSU campus. Payment must be in the form of a check or money order, payable to LSPA. Credit cards cannot be accepted.
- Paperwork and payment should be postmarked NO LATER THAN Friday, April 19, 2019:
Attn: LSPA Summer Institute
Manship School of Mass Communication
211 Journalism Building
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
List of important dates:
- The 2019 LSPA Summer Institute is expected to take place June 11-15, 2019.
- Deadline to apply and pay: Friday, April 19, 2019.
How do I apply? (Forms will be updated)
- Complete Steps 1-4. The deadline for receipt of all materials is Friday, April 19, 2019. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE REGISTRATION PROCESS, PLEASE EMAIL email@example.com.
- Click here HERE to download, print and fill out our registration form.
- Click here to download and fill out our LSPA Summer Institute 2018 Medical Insurance form.
- Click here to download our LSPA 2018 Summer Institute Release of Liability form. Print and complete this form. Mail it to the following address: Attn: LSPA Summer Institute, Manship School of Mass Communication, 211 Journalism Building, Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
- Mail a check or money order for $450 by Friday, April 19, 2019, payable to LSPA, to the address above.