LSPA Summer Institute
Sunday, June 3 – Saturday, June 9, 2018
Deadline: Monday, May 8 (EXTENDED TO MAY 14TH)
The LSPA Summer Institute (formerly the Louisiana Scholastic Journalism Institute) provides an intensive one-week training program for high school sophomores, juniors, seniors and incoming freshmen. Sponsored by the LSU Manship School of Mass Communication and the Louisiana Association of Broadcasters (LAB), the Institute’s mission is to provide students with the skills needed to produce top-notch scholastic media, including newspapers, broadcast, yearbooks and multimedia. Students work closely with faculty and media professionals utilizing Manship’s state-of-the-art laboratories and production facilities. They build strong journalism skills and receive a preview of the college experience, while spending six nights under supervision in one of LSU’s residential facilities. The LSPA Summer Institute is recognized as the Southeast’s No. 1 high school media-learning program.
BUILD YOUR SKILLS IN …
- Multimedia production
- Social media and the new frontier of digital journalism
The LSPA Summer Institute helps you explore and experiment, bringing to class your own journalistic skills and unique point of view. The program gives you an understanding of where journalism and journalists are headed in the digital world.
What will I be doing?
- You will use the Manship School’s advanced broadcast studios and writing laboratories to learn the fundamentals of media: writing, editing, design, videography, photography and more. You’ll discover new techniques and tools to improve your skills as well as the quality of your school’s publications and broadcasts. Activities include workshops, production projects, guest speakers and field trips to professional media organizations in Baton Rouge.
Who can attend?
- High school sophomores, juniors and seniors interested in journalism and mass communication and/or those involved in the school newspaper, yearbook or broadcast news program.
Where will I stay?
- You will stay in residence facilities located on the LSU campus. Most meals will be in LSU dining halls. Faculty members and graduate students closely supervise all activities.
What is the cost?
- The program fee is $550, which covers housing, meals, and costs for materials and activities. Participants are responsible for travel expenses to and from the LSU campus. Scholarships for Louisiana students who demonstrate financial need are available, thanks to support from the Louisiana Association of Broadcasters. Payment must be in the form of a check or money order, payable to LSPA. Credit cards will not be accepted.
Is financial assistance available?
- SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE TO LOUISIANA RESIDENTS WHO DEMONSTRATE FINANCIAL NEED! A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available. Click here to download (print and fill out) our Summer Institute Scholarship Application.
- If you are awarded a scholarship, a check or money order for the remaining balance must be mailed to the following address by NO LATER THAN Monday, May 21, 2018: Attn: LSPA Summer Institute, B-39 Hodges Hall, LSU Student Media, Baton Rouge, LA 70803. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
What are the LSPA Summer Institute 2018 dates?
- The 2018 dates for the Institute are June 3-9.
How do I apply?
- Complete Steps 1-4. The deadline for receipt of all materials – online forms, a hard copy of the release of liability form and payment – is Monday, MAY 8, 2018. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE REGISTRATION PROCESS, PLEASE EMAIL email@example.com.
- Click here HERE to download, print and fill out our registration form.
- Click here to download and fill out our LSPA Summer Institute 2018 Medical Insurance form.
- Click here to download our LSPA 2018 Summer Institute Release of Liability form. Print and complete this form. Mail it to the following address: Attn: LSPA Summer Institute, B-39 Hodges Hall, LSU Student Media, Baton Rouge, LA 70803.
- Mail a check or money order for $550, payable to LSPA, to the address above. (If you are applying for a scholarship, click HERE to download, print and fill out our Summer Institute Scholarship Application, which must be completed by Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
- Click here to download the LSPA Summer Institute Flier for 2018.